The Civil Services Preliminary exam comprises of two compulsory papers of 200 marks each (General Studies Paper-I and General Studies Paper-II). The questions will be of multiple choice & objective type. The marks in prelims will not be counted for final ranking it is just for qualification for the main exam.
The Commission will draw a list of candidates to be qualified for Civil Service (Main) Exam based on the criterion of minimum qualifying marks of 33% in General Studies Paper-II of Civil Services (Prelim Exam) and total qualifying marks of General Studies Paper-I of Civil Services (Prelim Exam) as may be determined by the Commission.
Syllabus for Paper -I (200 Marks)
Duration – Two Hours (Counted for the Merit Rank in the Prelims)
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-Diversity & Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
Syllabus for Paper-II (200 Marks)
Duration – Two Hours (Not Counted for the Merit Rank in Prelims but a Qualifying Paper, Just need 33% Marks)
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level).